How To Have Soft And Smooth Skin
by Dr. Scott Saunders, M.D.
As it turns out, acne is caused by a number of hidden triggers. Toxins, food and hormones can change your face from soft and smooth to breakouts.
- Acne is caused by toxic overload of the liver with certain toxins. These organic toxins include mostly dioxin, BPA, and pesticides. As a result, the liver may not be able to adequately purify all toxic substances that enter the body, so these excess toxins either end up stored in our fatty tissue or eliminated through one of the bodies seven elimination channels – one of these being the skin.
- Foods also trigger acne. The primary foods that cause inflammation are omega 6 oils and sugars.
- Some artificial sweeteners also exacerbate acne.
- Steroid hormones such as cortisol (stress) tell your body to produce more pore-clogging oil.
- Puberty triggers significant chemical activity that can play with one’s hormonal balance, causing the appearance of acne and other skin blemishes. Hormonal activity doesn’t just cause acne for teens (males with too much testosterone); women with PCOS have hormonal imbalances that frequently cause acne.
- Acne is really not due to washing, or lack thereof. It’s not the outside, but rather the inside. As Jesus said, “Cleanse first that which is within… that the outside… may be clean.” Thus, drugs, scrubs, gels, pastes, exfoliants, soaps, etc., may improve the symptoms, but do not address the problem.
- Acne is not an infection, but rather an inflammation of the glands of the skin. Killing the bacteria on the skin can relieve the inflammation for a short time, but, doesn’t address the problem.
The key to healthy skin isn’t just dealing with the symptoms — like lathering on potions and lotions, popping and pricking pimples, or taking antibiotics or strong liver damaging medication. The way to totally relieve the problem of acne and have clear, clean, smooth, beautiful skin is to get rid of inflammation. This may be different in different people, but here are some ideas that really work to douse the fires of inflammation.
5 Ways to Get Rid of Acne Naturally
1. Detox program.
The purpose of detox is to give the liver what it needs to get the normal toxins out of your body.
In order to this, you need the right high-nutrient and low-toxin foods. Be careful of protein powders or smoothies, as they often contain sweeteners that can make the problems worse. In my office we carry a Standard Process Whole Food Detox Kit that works very well. You can also get Nourish Greens or other powders that add nutrition without toxicity.
The best detox, if you don’t want to use powders or pills, is to eat ONLY organic, raw vegetables, and organic, grass-fed beef, chicken, or wild fish for four weeks. Some of the vegetables may be cooked, like spinach. It’s best to eat an up to 9 cups per day. It is a must to include brassica vegetables like broccoli, kale, and Brussels sprouts. Avoid the starchy foods like potatoes.
2. Cleanse program.
A cleanse program takes the toxins out of the body. Using up the glycogen in the liver and muscles so you use up fat for energy does this. It always requires a limited diet, or fasting. Some cleanse with only water, but there are MANY different cleanses (juice fast, Master Cleanse, broth cleanse, etc.). This can be done one week at a time over many months, and then once or twice per year.
I prefer the broth cleanse because it adds easily absorbable nutrients and minerals without any sugars, allowing the body to get rid of inflammation. To follow this protocol, drink only broth, about 2 quarts per day, for one to four weeks, depending on the need.
The key to an effective cleanse is to have an empty stomach, which allows more anabolic metabolism, lowering the catabolic hormones and inflammation. You will lose about a pound per day, so don’t overdo it.
It is essential to sweat regularly to remove toxins and keep the lymph system in circulation. Some sit in a hot box and sweat, but it’s best to heat the body from the inside with exercise.
4. Ongoing diet
The food you eat should change to avoid toxins such as bad fats and sugars.
- Good fats come from grass-fed meats, avocado, coconut, olive oil, and so forth.
- Make your own dressings for salads.
- Have lots of greens every day.
- Avoid grains such as pasta, breads, cereals and the like.
- Avoid sugar in any form. Avoid the taste of sweet because they are all toxic. Berries are fine if you need something sweet. You may also have an occasional orange or other organic fruit.
5. Stress reduction
While you cannot avoid stress because it comes from change and change is inevitable, you can mitigate its effects by following a few principles.
- Exercise regularly. Work out enough to tire so you make endorphins.
- Have a hobby in which you lose yourself.
- Have goals, and work to achieve them.
- Avoid stimulants such as drugs, caffeine, and sugar.
- Get enough sleep: go to bed early, and get up early.
- Make connections with others: close friends, family, spouse. Love is the best stress reliever.
By following these principles, not only will you get rid of acne and have clear, smooth skin, but you will improve your life in so many ways! It will prevent and get rid of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes – the three biggest killers in America!
If you liked this article, then you’ll love these:
- The 2 Week Healthy Skin Cleanse
- The Top 3 Internal Acne Fighting Herbs
- 3 Tips for Healthy, Flawless and Beautiful Skin
Dr. Scott D. Saunders, M.D. is a practicing physician, specializing in preventative health care, who utilizes eclectic health care for the whole family, including conventional, orthomolecular and natural medicine. He is also the medical director of The Integrative Medical Center of Santa Barbara in Lompoc, CA. He went to UCLA medical school and is board certified in family medicine. View natural remedies with Dr. Saunders at: http://drsaundersmd.com