Simple Roast Chicken
There’s no reason to get overly fussy with complicated techniques for a flavorful, rich and simple roast chicken, the ultimate comfort food.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 5-pound chicken , giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string, mostly closing the cavity opening. Pull the wings so the tips overlap on top of the breast; tie in place, wrapping string around the wings and body. Rub the chicken with oil, salt and pepper. Set in a roasting pan, breast-side down.
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes. Turn breast-side up and continue roasting, basting occasionally with pan juices, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, without touching bone, registers 175°F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the string before carving.
- Serving size: 3 oz. (without skin)
- Per serving: 294 calories; 10 g fat(2 g sat); 0 g fiber; 1 g carbohydrates; 47 g protein; 18 mcg folate; 150 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 129 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 31 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 465 mg sodium; 575 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (19% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0
- Exchanges: 3 lean meat
Recipe Source: EatingWell