Gluten Intolerance: Going Against the Grain
Anyone can experience some form of Gluten Sensitivity as a normal immune response to the presence of gluten in the body. Some people can have minor discomfort while others can have severe health problems.
The medical term for severe gluten intolerance is called “Celiac disease.” One in every 100 Americans is estimated to have Celiac disease, yet only 5% are successfully diagnosed. The other 95% are living in constant distress and failing health.
Those with mild or moderate gluten sensitivity may only experience symptoms occasionally and just chalk the discomfort up to the food.
What Is Gluten?
Gluten is a special type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat, and barley. Therefore, it is found in most types of cereals and in many types of bread. Not all foods from the grain family, however, contain gluten. Examples of grains that do NOT have gluten include:
- Wild rice
- Sunflower seeds
Gluten can be removed from wheat flour, producing wheat starch. All of the gluten in wheat flour, however, cannot be removed. Still, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), if a certain amount of the gluten is removed, the food product can be labeled “gluten-free.”
What is the Difference Between Celiac Disease
and Gluten Intolerance
Celiac disease is an immune reaction, a severe sudden onset allergic reaction, to the protein called gluten.
Gluten intolerance often has a slower onset than Celiac disease, and may be hard to diagnose due to the broad range of symptoms and causes.
Symptoms of gluten intolerance and Celiac disease can include: To continue reading the rest of this article, please sign in using your Home Cures That Work login. Not a Home Cures That Work member yet? Click Here to join our exclusive membership and gain access to all our amazing articles!
To continue reading the rest of this article, please sign in using your Home Cures That Work login. Not a Home Cures That Work member yet? Click Here to join our exclusive membership and gain access to all our amazing articles!