Bath and Body Detox
Our skin, the largest organ of the body, takes the brunt of all sorts of abuse. The skin is exposed to hot and cold, wet and dry, coarse and soft, caustic and soothing substances. Our skin gets pinched, cut, bruised, burned, and scraped.
Because the skin is a vast organ, immersing your body in a soothing and detoxifying bath can be very beneficial.
A warm, hot bath can be very therapeutic and relaxing with the right solution added to your water. Solution baths can:
- Help reduce stress
- Pull unwanted toxins from the body
- Relieve itching
- Reduce inflammation
- Promote overall health
Whole Body Baths
There are numerous whole-body baths that offer a variety of desired effects. Below are just a few of these.
Epsom Salt Bath
One of the most common, tried and true baths is the Epsom salt bath. Epsom salt contains the minerals magnesium and sulfate. Magnesium “helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body” and assists in controlling blood pressure and cardiovascular health.
Our body also needs sulfate for a number of biological processes. Sulfate helps remove toxins from the body and forms proteins in joints and brain tissue. An Epsom salt bath is a great way to replenish these two important minerals in your body.
Feeling stressed? Relaxing in an Epsom salt bath can ease muscle pain and draw toxins out of your body(especially heavy metals).
- To prepare an Epsom salt bath, simply add two cups of Epsom salt to your bath water. Soak three times weekly (or as often as desired) for at least 12 minutes.
- For an added aromatic pleasure and calming effect, add 10 drops of lavender oil to your Epsom salt bath.
- To reduce pain, add 3-5 drops of black pepper oil to your Epsom salt bathwater.
Colloidal Oatmeal Bath
Colloidal oatmeal is not intended as a food source, but strictly for bathing. Colloidal oatmeal helps sooth itchy, scratchy, or dry skin. A bath prepared with colloidal oatmeal might be just the thing to relieve a rash, eczema, insect bites, hives and even sunburn.
Bentonite Clay Bath
Bentonite clay is a naturally occurring clay effective in detoxifying the body of harmful waste substances, chemicals, and heavy metals. This is a safe detox method that has been around for millennia.
Dr. Miriam Jang, MD, has documented the effectiveness of bentonite clay baths. They successfully reduce levels of heavy metals including: mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminum, and cadmium.
Ensure that you purchase your bentonite clay from a source that ensures its purity. Bentonite clay can be used in a detox bath in two ways:
- By dissolving one to four cups in the bathwater.
- By making a paste with apple cider vinegar and spreading it over your skin. Use a non-metal bowl and utensil to mix.