Slow-Cooker Brisket Sandwiches with Quick Pickles
Make your BBQ or cookout easy with this slow-cooker beef brisket recipe. Rauchbier, a smoky German beer, gives this fork-tender brisket real pit-barbecue flavor, but you can use any beer that suits your taste, or even substitute beef broth , to achieve mouth-watering results. While the brisket is cooking, whip up the quick pickle recipe and stir together a garlic mayo to top off the sandwiches.
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 1/4 pounds brisket, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 16-ounce bottle rauchbier (smoked beer) or 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pickling or mini cucumbers , sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 8 whole-wheat or gluten-free buns
- To prepare brisket: Combine paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a small bowl. Rub all over brisket. Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the brisket and brown on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add beer (or broth) to the pan along with any remaining spice blend from your cutting board; increase heat to high. Cook for 5 minutes, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Pour over the brisket. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 9 hours.
- To prepare pickles: Meanwhile, combine white vinegar, cider vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 1 minute. Add pickling spice and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour into a large, heatproof glass bowl and add cucumbers and onion. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- To prepare garlic mayo: Mash garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a paste in a mortar and pestle or with the back of a spoon on a cutting board. Combine the garlic mixture with mayonnaise in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the brisket is done, transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pull the brisket apart into shreds with 2 forks and then coarsely chop the shredded meat. Combine the chopped brisket with the liquid in the slow cooker.
- To serve, drain the pickled vegetables. Spread each bun with 1 tablespoon garlic mayo and top with about 3/4 cup brisket and 1/2 cup pickles.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Per serving: 401 calories; 13 g fat(3 g sat); 4 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 40 mcg folate; 91 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 911 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C; 85 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 768 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (54% daily value), Vitamin B12 (36% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (18% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat