There is a saying that goes, “A teaspoon of turmeric a day keeps cancer at bay!”
This Indian spice is one of nature’s most powerful healers.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease…and even Lupus.
Turmeric is also used to treat digestive and liver conditions, arthritis pain, irregular menstrual periods, heartburn, stomach ulcers and gallstones It has natural anti-inflammatory qualities as well as blood-thinning properties, help rebuild brain cells and repair stroke damage.
Numerous studies have looked into the connection between autoimmune diseases like Lupus and various herbs and supplements like turmeric. A 2009 study published in The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology reports that curcumin, an anti-oxidant that is an active ingredient in turmeric, has shown to play a major role in the prevention and treatment of inflammatory autoimmune diseases such as Lupus.
Many uses of turmeric relate to the anti-oxidant or anti-inflammatory activities of curcumin.
- Turmeric powder is effective against indigestion.
- Curcumin can prevent ulcerative colitis from intensifying.
- Turmeric can be effective for reducing joint pain swelling, morning stiffness and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Curcumin can treat psoriasis.
- Curcumin can lower cholesterol.
- Curcumin can lower the proliferation of a wide variety of cancer, especially pancreatic and colon cancer.
- Turmeric can improve blood sugar levels, lowering the chance that pre-diabetes can lead to actual diabetes by boosting the activity of insulin secreting cells in the pancreas.
- Curcumin improves mental functioning in Alzheimer’s patients.
Curcumin capsules or turmeric supplements, however, vary in quality, strength, and purity. In choosing the best turmeric capsule, reading the label carefully is important.
Look for products standardized for 95% curcuminoids.
The standardization process ensures manufacturing consistency in the amount of curcumin from bottle to bottle. In other words, you won’t be shortchanged on the amount of this key ingredient. This is a significant factor in that many clinical trials and medical studies have shown good results with turmeric supplementation in dosages containing 95% curcumin.
Products lacking the expected curcuminoids and are NOT recommended for consumption are:
- Advanced Physician Formulas Curcumin – less than 10% of labeled amounts
- Paradise Herbs and Essentials Turmeric – contained only 14.7% of labeled curcuminoids
The Best of Turmeric
The choice of which Turmeric brand to buy can be daunting. Do you go for quality, price, brand recognition, or all of the above?
These turmeric products provide the best value (providing 500mg of curcuminoids at the lowest cost):
If you are interested in bioavailability, these turmeric supplements are recommended with Bioperine (black pepper) to enhance absorption:
- Swanson Superior Herbs Curcumin Complex
- Life Extension SuperCurcumin with Bioperine
- Naturally Enhanced Absorption Curcu-Gel
- Naturally Enhanced Absorption Curcu-Gel Ultra
- Doctor’s Best Curcumin C3 Complex with Bioperine
- Doctor’s Purest Ageless Cures Curcumin C3 Complex
- Douglas Laboratories Ayur-Curcumin
- GNC Herbals Plus Standardized Turmeric Curcumin
- Natural Factors Turmeric and Bromelain
- Nature’s Life Turmeric Ginger Joint Pain Ease
- Nature’s Way Turmeric
- Solgar Turmeric Root Extract
- Vitamin Shoppe Standardized Herbs Turmeric Extract
Take 400 to 600 milligrams of turmeric, three times per day or as directed on the product label.
Curcumin and turmeric taken orally is best absorbed when taken with black pepper or piperine, a constituent of black pepper responsible for its pungency. When shopping for the best turmeric supplements, we recommend that the one you choose contains bioperine or piperine. Be patient when taking turmeric supplements: the full benefits may not be apparent for eight weeks.
Cooking with Turmeric
If you’re cooking with turmeric, be sure to add some black pepper to the food. Ways to eat it: one of the easiest, fastest ways to get your daily turmeric is just to mix a small spoonful of the powder with some warm water, stir briskly, and drink. Yes, it actually tastes quite good, especially once you get used to it.
Or, sprinkle a spoon or two on your cauliflower or broccoli, or in your soups or seafood or meat, almost anything works with this amazingly tasty and healthy spice.
Turmeric a great anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. It’s a great defense mechanism against cancer, joint pain, Alzheimer’s and Lupus.
The only toxicity to turmeric is it’s dangers to interfere on a first date!
As more and more disease processes appear to depend on inflammation to wreak their havoc on our brains, arteries and joints, the best turmeric supplements offers us a natural, safe and effective anti-inflammatory agent.